John O'Conner (Grounds Maintenance) Ltd
Founded in 1969, John O’Conner is a privately owned grounds maintenance company that keeps people at its heart. We are dedicated to the continuous development of each and every employee, and that commitment is reflected by the high quality services we deliver to our clients.
John O’Conner is a ‘large as life’ person who still shapes the vision of the company. Originally from a farming background in Surrey, he moved to Essex at the age of 18 and joined what was then the GPO, training as a telephone engineer.
After relocating to Stevenage as a newly-married man in 1961, John started by carrying out gardening jobs in his spare time. On hearing that Bedford GPO used a contractor for grass-cutting, John submitted his own bid, and secured his very first commercial contract.
Matt O’Conner, John’s son, was appointed Managing Director in 2007 after progressing through a range of operational roles within the business.
Our company values have provided the foundation to the way we do business over the last 50 years and today, these same values reflect our vision and drive the way we behave with clients and with each other:
• We strive to provide a standard of service and quality of workmanship that is second to none
• We care for our staff and uphold traditional family values
• We recognise that our success is based upon the quality of our people and we are committed to their ongoing training and development
• We believe in acting with honesty, integrity and openness
• We believe in paying staff and suppliers on time
• Should you be an employee, client or supplier and wish to talk to someone at director level – the door is always open.
“This is a genuine family run business with ethics at its core. Excellent Corporate Social Responsibility demonstrated”. BALI
|Best Family Business|